Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Mendocino

After going up, around, down, and in loop-de-loops on Highway 1 for a good many hours, my mom and I arrived in the great town of Mendocino. We were greeted with warnings of tsunamis and were told that there was a large earthquake just North of our destination. Thankfully within 5 minutes, the warning was called off and the ipod kept us from hearing about it on the radio (Those of you not familiar with Highway 1 - you really can't get off of it and it is nearly all coastal).
Mendocino is just beautiful and you can easily climb down to the water and putz around on the beach. Tide pools are easily accessible and there are coves that would be fun to kayak in.
It was in Mendocino that my mom and I became "The Stupids." Much like one of my favorite book families, we made our fair share of stupid remarks. For example, my mom, when asked if she would like coffee or tea replied "yes." I couldn't remember the word for goose for the life of me and identfied the poor creature as a duck. I also fell down while running and made quite a lovely sight for all watching :) And that was just day one...

No comments: