Sunday, August 06, 2006

Vegetarian Feast...MMMMMM/.

Eating in China has been not so fantastic...I think Deepa and I have managed to lose a few pounds because to us, rice gruel isn't exactly a good brekkie. Also, other dishes are not balanced (as in all noodles, or all meat, or all cooked lettuce) so we haven't really felt satiated yet. That is until we were informed of a vegetarian FEAST (as we all did...) at a goregous buddhist temple. 12 courses, none of which I have a clue of it's name, were all fantastic! There were little fake shrimps, potato based chicken, etc. It was fantastic.
Also did traditional hot pot (minus my vege roomie, tear) where you have boiling broth - we had pork and Szechuan chili, to dip in veges and thin pieces of meat. Pork, steak, lettuce, CHinese swamp spinach, etc. I TRIED the Szechuan chili broth and nearly went to the fire department since my whole body went up in flames. My lips felt larger than Angelina Jolie's! A good precursor for some of the spicy food we'll be eating in Northern India I suppose (and a fantastic remidner NOT to get a lip job...if my lips were as big as they felt, I wouldn't fit through a door).
Hot pot was a ton of fun and people who are around MI, we'll have to do it when I get back!
Went to a traditional tea house here in Chengdu and enjoyed very strong and bitter (we steeped too long...) tea on a beautiful river where local fams were renting boats. We were sitting by the willow tree a few families managed to get caught in! It reminded me of when a friend and I tried canoeing at MSU and totally needed to get evacuated from the tree we landed in! There were also the cutest kids by us whose parents had gotten them bubbles and they had an absolute ball blowing them all over. Managed to get some cute pictures :)
Saw pandas as well - very cute - and met the Olympic panda - Xing Xing. They really love them here - it's the national animal.
All in all, things are great. We are busy all the time. Too much to write about. Today we're on the way to the mountains to hike and stay at a monestary. Sadly no gambling for us there and a 9oclock curfew awaits for us.
Last note: the only western toilets are in our hotel rooms. Makes life interesting. I have assembled a "toilet perparedness kit" which includes toilet paper, dove wipes, hand sanitizer, and a rosary so I can say a great deal of prayers in an effort to avoid the many horrendous things that can happen to you in there. Next item to include: a gas mask.
We're off! Miss you! And Mrs. P - the monastery has tons of vegetarian food (actually that's all they have) so your little one will be well fed!
P.S. I think while in China I can't access any people's blogs. IN fact, I am sure of it since I have tried sooo many times, so please email me updates!
ox
cb

No comments: