Sunday, July 03, 2005

Markets and Caves

My mom told me there would be food cooking everywhere...and there is! Every city, street, corner, space has people cooking everything from entire fishies to chicken to veggies to unknown things on portable grill stands. I haven't eaten any meat from the vendors because typically there are flies all over the raw meats sold in markets not to mention nothing is refrigerated and it is really, really hot all day. There's also massive amounts of fruits (yes, Leyla, durian! I have yet to try it, but will!) and veggies all over. It is traditional for Thai people to shop daily and cook everything fresh (minus the flies). We have gotten to eat a lot of good food - Leslie really enjoyed Pad See Ew and I had some great coconut soup last night - and no one has gotten sick thankfully.

On a different note, we went to caves yesterday and encountered bats galore, stalagtites, and of course, buddahs! Unlike US caves which are to be untouched, Thai caves have massive golden buddahs hauled into them and monks go in to worship there. It was very interesting and was a stark difference from my Oregon Caves experience.

No comments: